Hope in Hard Times
With everything going on in the world, is there any hope? The answer is YES! The Bible is full of verses assuring us of that hope!
With all the uncertainty and instability that life can present us, especially in these times of political unrest and pandemic, it is natural to look for a source that can provide that expectation or desire. Once a source is located, a person can put their hope or expectation in it. Simply having somewhere to look for an answer can change one’s whole perspective. For example, when a person loses their job, they have lost their source of income. This can bring natural emotions of hopelessness…and they might ask “Where will I get money now?”, “How will I pay my bills?” When that person receives a job offer, even before they begin working, or receive their first paycheck those feelings of hopelessness change into hope – because there is an expectation of a good outcome for that need.
The Word of God talks about a hope that takes in all of our individual needs, wishes and desires. It is a hope that goes beyond our physical existence into the eternal part of us all. This hope is rooted in having a true relationship with God. Having that true relationship with God makes Him real in a person’s life. He becomes a representation of hope – through faith in Him and His Word.
Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Ghost.Romans 15:13 (KJV)
Let’s read the words of the Apostle Paul in the amplified text:
May the God of your hope so fill you with all joy and peace in believing [through the experience of your faith] that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound and be overflowing (bubbling over) with hope.Romans 15:13 (AMP)
This is good news and the Apostle Paul is right! The God of hope can and will (by His Spirit) fill YOU with joy and peace to the point where you too can abound or overflow with hope!
God is the most powerful source of hope
A person could put their hope in their money, their job, their abilities etc. for their livelihood, but all those things have the potential to be affected beyond their control. By instead placing hope in God, a person can have constant happiness and contentment knowing that there is nothing more powerful than God!
- Psalm 62:11 – God hath spoken once; twice have I heard this; that power belongeth unto God.
- Ephesians 1:19 – And what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power.
- Ephesians 3:20 – Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us.
God is constant and unchanging
Having hope in something that cannot change produces consistent hope.
- Hebrews 13:8 – Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.
- Malachi 3:6 – For I am the Lord, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed.
- James 1:17 – Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.
God can help us with every aspect of life
We can hope in God for:
- Our Future (From now into the afterlife)
- Our Daily Needs (Food, shelter, clothing, income/money, etc.)
- Our Health (Physical and emotional)
- A general hope that everything will work out that is based on our obedience to God.
- The Power to live the way God wants us to live.
- Hebrews 4:16 – Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.
- 3 John 1:2 – Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth.
God wants us to hope in Him
Sometimes it is necessary to get our courage up to ask certain people for help because we don’t know how they will respond, but this isn’t the case with God. He wants us to put our hope in him, and he wants to take care of us!
The 78th chapter in the book of Psalms references the many wonderful things God had done for His people, and this verse follows the accounts of His goodness:
That they might set their hope in God, and not forget the works of God, but keep his commandments.Psalm 78:7
There is no question that we can have hope, and when it is placed in God it will be powerful and provide a stability that will give peace, happiness and joy!